Sunday

Her mothers' voice

“I haven’t got a father.”
She said and took a pause to watch over her friend’s face.
“But thank you. You need not pity me.”
She stressed the thank-you part as if she does not care a hoot about those two words. She did not want the friend to respond either. Like in a monologue she continued.
“I have no father, because my mother chose not to have one.”
There was a pause, once again.
“She was lesbian.”
She wanted the pause to give emphasis to her own statement.
“I have two mothers. And I don’t think I will ever need a father. You may be wondering about my biological father though.”
She took a sip before resuming. She saw her friend’s nod as an approval.
“He should be somewhere. But a medical student for sure. My mothers wanted to have medical student genes in me, because they are doctors too.”
She smiled with her friend. She was relieved. She felt relieved because she could come out with some heavy burden. She could not get herself to come out with this burden of truth anywhere else. After all, this is Colombo, not some Las Vegas. They won’t accept any hippie culture down here.
She thought of her mothers. Why should she call them, when she could conveniently – and confidently – call them mothers? Her mothers are brave. They are brave not to care a hoot about what others would think of them. But will she have the same courage? Isn’t it a bit unfair by her for having to undergo all this stigma burden?

Her lifestyle was not accepted among her relatives. In fact, she had no relatives. No relatives would welcome either her or mothers.